The Ledford's

The Ledford's
Shane, Ashley, Brennley, Amelia & Hudson

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Toast for two on St. Patricks Day!

It's a "Dad thing"...

I've been asked by my beautiful wife (also known as "the wife" or "my babies momma") to take a moment and experience the blogging phenomenon. I'm willing to accommodate only b/c she agreed to fold the mountain of laundry piled up on the bed in the guest room.

St. Patricks Day has become a day worth remembering!

St. Patricks Day 2009:
Ashley and I were sitting through our first doctors appointment. We knew Ashley was expecting (because of the 20 home pregnancy test she had taken prior) but this day was special b/c we were having our first ultra sound and were going to see our baby for the first time. Oh, did I say baby. I meant BABIES. That's right, St. Patricks Day 2009 we found out we were having two babies instead of one (yep, I'm in the business of splitting eggs). I'll never forget hearing the words of the ultra sound tech "hum, there's a baby... and... there's a baby." with a big smile "Congratulations TWINS!". I remember the room got violently hot. Then I remember taking my jacket completely off before Ashley realized what was going on. Everyone is lucky I had my wits about me otherwise my pants probably would have been the next to go. At that point my mind was racing. I could not make sense of it all. I remember being worried, worried for Ashley, worried for the babies and worried about being a father of two. Life was definitely about to change and there wasn't a drink stiff enough on this St. Patricks day to erase the worries.

Fast forward...

St. Patricks Day 2010:
Sober again for the second year in a row. Brennley & Amelia are the center of our lives. Not quite six months old it's hard to remember what life was like w/out them. Everyday is a day worth looking forward to. Ashley is a wonderful mother and I enjoy experiencing parenthood with her. I can't imagine going through this with anyone else. Today was a special day. It was another St. Patricks Day worth remembering. We took our first "family" walk today. Ashley and the girls, Hoosier and I. It wasn't a very long walk. Just a few short blocks (which was enough for me b/c Hoosier about ripped my damn arm off). It was enough to give me a glimpse of the life ahead. I'll trade in the green beer & the stumbling from bar to bar for a walk with my new family any day.

If you ask me, this "Dad thing" is going to be alright!



3 comments:

The Hinton's said...

Great post! Not going to lie, I both giggled and got teary :) Happy for the Ledfords and happy you (all five of you!)are in our lives! Now if I could only convince Chad to blog.....

Andrea said...

LOVE this post! So sweet!!!

Andrea said...

LOVE this post! So sweet!